A few weeks ago I was a guest poster on the FitApproach Blog to share my ”Ah-Ha Moment” when my heath/fitness really became important to me. I know not all of you saw that so I thought I would share it here with you!
I’m not sure exactly when my “Ah Ha Moment” was but I do know exactly what it was. My pants didn’t fit….and there was no reason. As I tell people when they ask
” There was no reason for me to out grow my pants I’m in my *ahem* upper 20′s, I’m not pregnant, and have no major health concerns.”
That was my “Ah-Ha Moment” nothing major (praise the Lord.) I was just fed up. I had bought a few pairs of pants that were a size larger but I refused to buy a whole new wardrobe for something that is completly in my control.
I joined a meal tracking website and a gym, both with great encouragment from a friend who had herself recently started losing some weight and was looking good. Having a friend at work (where it is so easy to snack) was a HUGE help.) That is one of the main reasons I wanted to be a Sweat Pink Ambassador I know how much support helps.
Since August of 2011 I’ve:
Changed my BMI went from 25.8 (just into the Overweight catagory) down to a 21.9!!
Went from run/walking 1.5 miles to completing a 1/2 Marathon
Did 1 fun run last year so far have done 4 races 2 fun runs and 1 relay.
No longer use anxiety meds
Fit in my ‘normal’ pants and my ‘fat pants’ are to big.
It wasn’t fast I didn’t do anything drastic but in my opinion that is the best way that is how it sticks. I cut calories, ate less processed food, got of my butt and had friends hold me accountable.
How about you, what was your “Ah-Ha Moment?” Not just for weight loss but for fitness in general?
Exercise in general is great emotional support, whether your stressed out, anxious, depressed or just a little overwhelmed it can help. For me running is one of the best ways to exercise away my stress. Problem is running itself can cause some stress. When am I going to get my run in? What if I don’t follow my training plan?
Life is getting busy again (ok really when is it not, sometimes its just less busy) but with this busyness comes a need to balance running, household chores, work and relaxing. That is hard for me, I forgo true relaxing way to often. So with that in mind (and a few other things) I decided I’m NOT running a marathon this year. To be honest I’m not sure if I ever will and that is ok. For now I’m going to keep running as a stress reliever not a stress causer.
Here are a few things I try to do when exercising becomes a reason I’m stressed:
- Don’t go to the gym, just do something at home. Keep a few videos around to use on busy days. and then you can eliminate the locker room time, the drive and all of that ‘extra stuff.’
- Cut miles or a day. If your a runner and the calendar is getting full cut miles, I like running 5 days a week it lets me clear out my head, but I can’t always do the mileage I want. So cut miles on busy days and add them to slow ones if you can or just drop them all together on busy weeks.
- Make the little exercising you get to do extra stress relieving by doing a vinyassa yoga (or flow yoga lots more movement its actually a workout) or palaties.
- Intervals at the gym. If you need to do a quick intense workout try doing intervals of multiple things like 5 min on the stair stepper, 25 push ups, 1 mile on the elliptical and then 25 sit ups then repeat till you run out of time.
I’m excited to announce my first Sweat Pink ‘event.’
I’m using the term event loosely since I have a crazy busy month but I would really like to get people involved!
Run Find Your Happy Pace and Running In Sanity are teaming up to raise some money for Team in Training. How? With “The Great Cupcake Race” its a Virtual race and all of the proceeds go to their fundraising efforts.
Yep I know it sounds weird and it is a little weird, its not a big event with a start and a finish line, its a personal run that you commit to on or around Sept 8th. You can choose either a 5k or a 10k and run it like your going for a PR. The best part is you still get the bling! You can choose either the race only and get the medal ($20) or you can sign up for the race and the “will run for Cupcakes” Bondi Band($27.)
So I would like to encourage you to participate! Since I’m running this one near my home I’m only inviting those I know in ‘real life’ to run it with me, on Friday night Sept 7th. But I would love for you guys to sign up on line and run it as well. Then we can all get together Friday night on Life, Love, Green’s Facebook page and chat it up and eat cupcakes!
Want to join in?
There are 2 ways:
1. If you know me, live near me and have Friday Sept 7th open in the evening email me at lifelovegreen @ gmail . com and we will get together and run. Don’t forget to sign up online or you won’t get your medal.
2. If you don’t know me personally, can’t run that night, or live to far away. First Sign-up online then join in on Facebook! Just like Life, Love, Green and leave a comment that you want to do the Cupcake Run and I’ll add you to the invite list for the event online. Then when you complete your time come on line post pictures, your time and anything else!
There will even be prizes from me on top of the already cool cupcake medal. Haven’t decided the catagories yet but I’m thinking 1st to sign up and most improved PR… but that not set in stone.
Keep your eyes peeled for a list of upcoming races on the sidebar ->
So what is that? Good question I didn’t know either until the other day I saw that one of my favorite running bloggers was one. In case your wondering that would be Jen from Running with the Girls .
Anyway I went to their web page and saw this list of questions on their ambassador page:
Do you have a passion for inspiring others on their journeys to health? Do you believe that strong is the new skinny, pink is the new black, and that a positive attitude and whole foods are a healthier route to happiness than self-loathing and 100-calorie snack packs?
Umm HECK YES! I Strongly believe in that whole paragraph but orange would be a better new black, but not as feminine so I accept pink. I’m so excited to start a journey of not only getting healthier myself but to encourage those around me to do the same.
So what can you expect?
- I’ll be announcing what races I’m doing and where in hopes of getting a group of us together to ‘Sweat Pink” maybe do some pre-race training runs together and possibly some carb loading even
- Targeted training and healthy eating posts. Instead of just telling you what I’m doing I’ll tell you what I’ve learned. I’m not a professional I’m just a normal girl but hey so are you!
- Sweat Pink Swag-yep thats right you heard me, keep an eye out for upcoming Pink giveaways!
Well for now that covers it, I can’t wait to dive in, for one more treat for you check out this Cinnamony Goodness I found on the Sweat Pink/Fit Approach Blog.